Appam has always been a favorite in our family and is usually made with fermented rice and coconut.This recipe uses wheat flour and is tremendously easy.It was an accidental discovery while browsing and turned to a super hit with the whole family! Credits for this go to another blogger.
Its healthier as we use wheat flour.
- Wheat flour – 1 ½ cup
- Water – 2 cup
- Fresh grated coconut – ½ cup
- Yeast – ½ tsp (I used Fleishmann’s Rapid Rise Yeast)
- Sugar – 5 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Add all the above ingredients in a mixie and grind for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the batter into a big bowl(so that the batter doesn’t flow out the bowl while fermenting) and keep for 12 hours for fermenting.The batter will rise and you will see air bubbles on top.st
- Heat a non stick pan and stir the batter each time as you pour a ladle of batter. Spread lightly (like pancake) and cover the appam with a lid for 2-3 minutes till cooked on one side.
- Flip the appam to cook on the other side.
Have it with veg or non-veg curry.
Note: Always make sure the yeast is active, as this can affect the fermentation process.