This dish is highly nutritious as it contains split pigeon peas (Indian name: toor dal) and spinach(Indian name: palak).The lentil provides protein and spinach is high in iron.This combination is therefore very healthy and filling.
We can have this dish as a soup or as gravy with rice or roti.
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Tomato -1 small, chopped
- Garlic -2 cloves, minced
- Green chillies – 4 , split in half
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Spinach leaves- 1 cup, washed well and chopped
- Tamarind juice – 1 Tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Dry red chillies – 3nos.
- Asafetida – 1/4 tsp
- Coconut oil/ any oil -1Tbsp
- Take all the ingredients in a pressure cooker and add 2 cups of water.Keep on medium flame and cook for one whistle.
- Note: One whistle in my cooker , cooks the dal.But, may not be the same way in other cookers.So check , if dal is cooked, else cook till its done to your liking.You can also cook dal in a closed sauce pan.
- Once the dal is cooked, we need to season 0r do tadka.
- In a small frying pan, pour coconut oil and add the mustard seeds.When they splutter, add dry red chillies and when they change color, switch off the flame and add the asafetida powder.You will get a fragrant aroma.Add this seasoning to the cooked dal and mix well.
- Your dish is ready!!!Enjoy!!